Skip to content

Tel: 0191 445 2474

NHS Logo
High Contrast

Tyneside Surgical Services always tries to do its best for patients, but we recognise that things may not always go according to your expectations. If you are unhappy with the service you have received you are entitled to make a complaint. Your complaint will be treated confidentially and you will not be discriminated against as a result of making a complaint.

How to log a complaint

You may wish to tell a member of staff or the person in charge how you feel about your care or the service. Any member of staff will assist you with queries or problems. If they cannot resolve the problem they will seek help on you behalf from someone who can. This may be the Clinical Services Manager, Commercial Director or Matron for Tyneside Surgical Services.

If you wish to make an informal or formal complaint then you can telephone , email or write to Tyneside Surgical Services using the details below:

Commercial Director
Independent House
Fifth Avenue
Team Valley
NE11 0HF

Email: or Catherine Colesby, HR/Recruitment and Staffing Manager. Telephone: 0191 445 3950, Email:

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can complain?

A complaint can be made by a patient or person affected or likely to be affected by the actions or decisions of Tyneside Surgical Services. A complaint can also be made by someone acting on behalf of the patient or person as long as they have the patient’s consent which should be documented and signed.

How long have I got to make a complaint

You should normally complain within 12 months of the event that you have concerns about. However the complaints procedure can’t give you compensation or discipline staff.

To whom should I complain initially?

Your initial complaint should be made to the Commercial Director at Tyneside Surgical Services. In order to answer or investigate your complaint your concerns will be shared with the appropriate members of the team.

What will happen once I have made my complaint?

Tyneside Surgical Services will send you an acknowledgement within 2 working days to confirm we have registered your complaint. We shall then take appropriate steps according to the concerns and this may include a meeting and or a formal written response within 20 working days with the outcome of the investigation.

What happens if I am not happy with the reply to my complaint?

Please contact the lead person in your correspondence to explain why you are not satisfied. We will look again at your concerns to try and resolve your outstanding issues.

What if I need help to complain or am still dissatisfied following a response?

Independent help and advice is available for patients wishing to complain about the care and services they have received
If you are unhappy with your NHS funded treatment or care and wish to make a complaint. You may find it helpful to know that you can access free, independent and confidential specialised advocacy support. NHS Advocacy is now provided by North East NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy in the following local authority areas: – Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, North Tyneside, South Tyneside, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton and Sunderland.

Phone – 0808 802 3000

Email –

Who else can I complain to when still dissatisfied?

The health service ombudsman can review your complaint and decide whether to assist you with the complaint and resolution process.

The Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Telephone – 08450154033
Email –

The Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The CQC is unable to review complaints for you or take them up on your behalf. The only exception to this is for people whose rights are restricted under the Mental Health Act.

I might want to take legal action?

Should you decide to take this action prior to complaining to Tyneside Surgical Services we would not then be able to process your complaint. Litigation negates the investigation of the complaint process.